Jan 4, 2009

Not So Sunday

I'm going to write 2 posts today. I'll write this frustrating one first.



There's nothing special about my Seiko watch here. It's there just to show that I have to work at this time on this very Sunday. Actually I could be home by 11am... but nooooo... The shipyard decided that they would like to perform bunkering on this ship for the very first time on this fine Sunday. *bunkering - The act or process of supplying a ship with fuel.*

The reason I have to be here is because my company is the sub-contractor doing the piping job for the shipyard. First time bunkering would require a representative from our side to ensure that there's no leakage at the pipelines and valves during the bunkering process. From the safety point of view, it's very dangerous if there's any leakage coz diesel is very flammable and we have a lot of hot work such as welding and gas cutting around the area.



As we need all hot work to be stopped b4 the bunkering process starts, we have to wait till 5pm when most contractors stop work after 4.30pm. Most workers are waiting to punch their time card and head home to rest already. I'm still on board the ship observing these people go home... T___________T



While waiting I took some pretty nice shots on board the ship. This is a crane barge doing some repair in the shipyard. Crane barge this big should be easily able to carry items as heavy as 500 tonnes.



Across the sea here we can see a land filled area here. I heard that there was nothing at all 9 years ago. Now there are warehouse, factories, workers dormitory and also shipyard built at that area. It's amazing that Singapore has done this much to expend their limited land in their country.

In the end, the bunkering process completed smoothly. 3000 liters of diesel was bunkered and there wasn't any sign of leakage. Left the shipyard around 6pm and I have to ferry the workers back to their domitory. My workers are sure damn lucky to have me as their driver to drive them back home. How I wish I have a driver to send me home too.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails