Jun 13, 2008

DELL Vostro 1400

I got a new laptop from company before CNY.



Before CNY was around.... 21st January. They processed my order quite fast considering that I heard rumors that they need 1 month to process an order. I placed the order on 17th January and I got it on 21st~! Looks like Dell business drop a lot.

Following is the spec of the DELL Vostro 1400 I got.

-Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor T7500, 2.2GHz, 4MB Cache, 800 MHz FSB
-Genuine Windows(R) XP Professional SP2
-14.1" UltraSharp(TM) Widescreen WXGA+ (1440x 1900) TFT Display with TrueLife(TM)
-2GB (2 X 1024MB) 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
-250GB SATA Hard Drive
-Internal 8X DVD+/-RW, Dual Layer
-NVIDIA(R) GeForce(TM) 8400M GS with 128MB GDDR3 dedicated graphic memory
-Integrated 2.0 Megapixel webcam
-Microsoft(R) Office 2007 Basic OEM Version c/w Word/Excel/Outlook
-McAfee(R) Security Center(TM) - 24 Months OEM
-3-Year Limited Warranty (Next Business Day Service - parts & labour)
-3 Years Plus Phone Support: Mon-Fri 0900-2100, Sat 0900-1600
-8-in-1 media card reader
-Bluetooth + Wireless A/B/G + Fast Ethernet + 56k Modem

There are still many details like those bundled software and accessories that I didn't mention above. They are just insignificant.

This laptop cost S$2,095.06 inclusive of GST 7%.

My house mates bought the exact same laptop too. Without Microsoft Office, McAfee Security Center and only 1 year warranty, they got it at RM3,202.00.

Including my unit, we have 4 same laptop at home. Like we are die hard Dell supporter... haha. But obviously we bought this laptop because it's dang cheap. Oh yeah, and the sales girl whom I spoke to have a really nice voice. Too bad I only ordered a laptop from her. As I placed order for another 3 Desktop Computer online already.

Before I finalized my decision, I actually went to survey around Singapore to check on pricing of current laptops. At that time, IBM Thinkpad, Toshiba can easily cost S$2,400 compare to mine which is just S$2,100 with the same spec if not lousier. Good deal right? Can help the company save S$300.

Performance wise, I am also quite satisfied after manually tweaking it. It was kinda lag when I first used it. I can type a lot of things and it appear only after a second... Well, blame all the bundled software installed by DELL... such as Media Direct, Network Assistant.

Surprisingly this laptop able to produce the same 3D Mark score with my previous company laptop with ATI X700 graphic card. It surprised me a little coz 8400GS is just an entry level GPU compare with X700 which is a mid-range level GPU a few generations back. But then entry level is still entry level. I'm happy as long as it's not built-in graphics.

Physical appearance of the laptop, looks good to me. I dun really care how my laptop look anyway. Coz most of the time I will be just looking at the monitor. My eyes won't have time to appreciate how the back of my monitor look and I won't care if ppl will feel amazed with my laptop or not. As long as the laptop perform well, I dun really care. I wouldn't want a expensive laptop which look pretty and all but perform like shit.

After 5 months using it, I still do not have any complains for this laptop. Still dun understand why some ppl hate DELL so much. Maybe the have bad experience with DELL like how I had bad experience with ACER. Dunno if Acer improved, as my opinion is based on my past experience.

That's about all I have to say about this DELL Vostro 1400.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

accer does improve at least by the slightest. our govern gives DELL to most govern dept. and school teachers. i been using accer since my early days. the first one memory crushed after a year, cilaka one. I paid 3.5 for that. no money to buy better laptop yet :(

Related Posts with Thumbnails