Dec 16, 2007

Kampung Benggali Hokkien Mee

Another food post~! This time is a coffee shop selling Hokkien Mee in the morning. After the night I had curry bihun at Jalan Raja Uda, we decided to have Hokkien Mee at Kampung Benggali today. Why is this place called Kampung Benggali? I have no idea... coz I hardly see any Benggali here... Maybe it was used to infest with Benggali ppl?

Aside from that, this coffee shop actually bring back lots of old memories for me. During primary school days, my dad would bring me and my sister to have breakfast here every single day. While we are there, we will always meet my dad's friends, golf friends or the company partners there.

Well, the coffee shop name is called Wah Tong Coffee Shop last time. This time when I was there... I saw the name has changed to Wah Tong Old-Town Kitchen or something... but they still have the same chinese name for the shop.. which is 华东福建面.


烧包, siew bao


1/2 烧包 lol...

The siew bao they make is really nice. The filling is just simple... its like char siew of char siew bao, it has plenty of sesame seed inside which make it has nice aroma for the filling when u are chewing it. The reason I say its simple is because it doesn't have green peas like the normal Seremban Siew Bao found. The taste is quite unique compared with Seremban Siew Bao. If you're not there early, the siew bao would have been sold out by 10am. Thats how good their Siew Bao is. Remember last time my dad used to buy about 20 of them and bring to office for his staff.

Before I go on with the hokkien mee, I would like to explain for those who don't know... Penang Hokkien mee is similar to Prawn Mee in other states. Its different from Fried Hokkien Mee.



Above is the nice old Dry Koey Teow I had almost everyday when I was a small kid... the taste never change~! See how short and fat the tau geh is~! haha... At one point last time... I everyday order dried koey teow... without all the ingredients but the koey teow (or its called koey teow kosong) ... how stupid was I to ignore the fish ball, sliced prawn, taugeh (bean sprout) and Fish Cake~!


Fish ball with the Hokkien Mee Soup

The reason for this fish ball soup is not for the fishball actually. I just wanna drink the soup since I orders dried koey teow without soup. The fishball taste just normal. It looks like those that we can get easily from the wet market.


4004, Jalan Kampung Bengalli, Butterworth Penang 12200 Malaysia

Above is the location of the coffee shop. Its marked in red X. The location marked in blue X is the Butterworth Police station. Its located at the central of Butterworth. Can come from Kulim-Butterworth Highway and its connected to Jalan Jeng Choon Thian in above map. Turn right into Jalan Bagan Luar, go straight and turn into Jalan Kampung Benggali.

Thats all for Penang Hokkien Mee~!

3 comments:

L'abeille said...

Next time I MUST remember Benggali when I'm in Penang next time... I mean the Jalan.. :p

ck AE76 said...

Its Jalan Kampung Benggali to be exact... lol

Copykate said...

the fishballs make me drool! i wanna eat i wanna eat i wanna eat! X(

btw hokkien mee is like that? LOL

Related Posts with Thumbnails